- Congrats to Bubby for making the USA World University Games team. Sherron Collins withdrew from tryouts at the last minute because of family issues, but Nic Wise from Arizona was added to the roster. Bubby and Corey Fisher beat out Wise for the 2 PG positions. The team will be traveling overseas for the World University games on July 2nd-11th. Now it’s time to scavenge to see if any media coverage of the event will take place.
- Denise Murphy has reportedly made a down payment on a residence in State College. This is basketball news because if you did not already know, Murphy is the mother of Talor Battle and Taran Buie. So it seems very likely that Taran will be playing his senior year of HS ball at State College Area High. I live on W Foster, so my apartment is a 5 minute walk from the school. I will surely make it out to a few State High games next year if Buie’s a Little Lion.
- 2010 recruit Jordan Latham re-committed to Xavier. He was the only 2010 big man recruit that I felt we had a legit chance at. He at least visited and showed mutual interest in playing here. He de-committed from Xavier back when Sean Miller left for Arizona. But he still loves the school and committed to new Musketeer coach Chris Mack. This makes me believe another 2010 commitment is unlikely (even if our scholarships are full). Time to focus on the 5 open 2011 scholarships for the Post-Battle era of PSU hoops.
- Steve Jones reported today that there’s 148 days until PSU basketball returns with a November 13th home game against Penn. So you can add Penn to the 09-10 schedule.
- Dana O’Neil’s most recent preview article included a very nice blurb about Talor:
B is for Talor Battle, the best player too many people have never heard of. Battle led Penn State to the postseason NIT title, which was great for the Nittany Lions but not so much for Battle’s Q rating. If the guard, who dropped 29 in a win at Michigan State, ends PSU’s eight-year NCAA tournament drought, he’ll finally get his name in lights.